And apologies for the tardiness of this post...I usually get it whipped up and done on December 31st but, alas, life has been insanely busy and I didn't get around to it. I *almost* didn't even get this done because it is a LOT to do but figured I'd go ahead and get it whipped up for ya cause I know come the end of this year I'd be mad at myself for not doing one in 2019. So, here it is!
In years' past I've always done a 'top 10' things of that year post. And, while I like doing that, it's also A LOT OF WORK. So this year I'm doing 2019 in review, month by month, with a little reflecting in there too. A few highlights of each month and therefore touching on some of my favorite things from this year.
- January 3rd, 2019 kicked off my first year being a full time photographer...and what a year it was for my photog business. I was terrified to not have my safety net of teaching to fall back on, but now, after the conclusion of 2019 and running my tax report for what I made in 2019: it was the BEST DECISION EVER. I made significantly more than I ever did teaching, and I have my goal set on grossing six figures in 2020. This was the best career decision I've ever made and I'm forever grateful to my little Clark for the push to do it!
- My 2019 resolution was to give back and I totally feel like I did a TON of this this year. And I don't have a resolution in 2020, because I am keeping this one going forever. Basically keeping Captures for Clark going strong for those families that would like my photo services for their little ones.
- Aloha Hawaii! Mike and I jetted off to a much needed vacay that encompassed a whole lot of healing and reflecting. One of my most favorite trips ever, and we came back with Teddy on board as a stowaway! I found out I was pregnant a few days after we got back.
- I took Rosie to Florida for a few days, and took Patrick to New York for a few days for their spring breaks! I got to snap my OB's family down in Florida and then got a lot of pool and nice warm Florida air time with Rosie. Patrick and I then headed to NY to visit our buddies and we got to explore NYC one day and see Wicked on Broadway! He still talks about how cool this trip was for him.
- Mike turned 40 and we threw him an awesome surprise party! It was a blast and I cannot believe this dude is the big 4-0...and now, he'll be 41 in just a few months! Sure doesn't feel like he's that old :)
- We announced our fifth pregnancy and rainbow baby to the world, and I started documenting the very terrified reality that is pregnancy after loss. For nearly the entire part of 2019 Teddy's pregnancy consumed me, a lot of times in fearful and negative ways, and about 4 months in we decided that he would be our last and our final baby, because the anxiety brought on by his pregnancy I just couldn't do again. So we hoped and prayed that things would continue to go well and we'd meet this little rainbow in November.
- 6 months after Clark's birth I finally got myself to open his box from the funeral home (the one and only time I've opened it) and place him in his resting place in the custom urn we had made for him. It was bittersweet to hold him and place him in there...and he now sits on our dresser watching over us always it seems.
- Rosie had her first dance recital and this was truly a highlight of the summer for her. She had a blast and my non-girly heart became a bit more girly watching her dance and smile and laugh up there. So excited for June 2020 when both girls get to dance in this recital!
- The girls got their ears pierced and this was a HUGE deal this summer -- a big life event for anyone and they both were the ones who decided and asked for it to be done! They've loved changing their earrings a billion times ever since :)
- My overly ambitious birth photographer self booked NINE births due within a month of each other and by some small miracle NONE of them overlapped and I made it to all of them! WOOOOOOOT! It was definitely a month that was reaffirming that I was doing exactly what I was meant to do.
- Annie started school and she has LOOOOOVED it ever since! Her speech has boomed even more and she loves telling us about her teachers and what her classmates do every day at school. Her stories are so funny and we love hearing them!
- Celebrated Clark's 1st birthday and just in disbelief it had been an entire year without him. Not a day (heck, more like an hour) goes by that he's not on my mind. I don't know if it'll ever get better either...he's changed so much about me and how I look at things and what not and I just don't see him going anywhere. And I do love when people ask about his story and say his name...it makes my heart flutter that he's remembered and loved.
- Teddy was born!! Need I say more?!?! After 37 weeks of anguish and worry, our sweet little rainbow was here safe and sound. He did 9 days in the NICU but it was worth every moment once we got to bring him home with us.
- Teddy got RSV -- ugh. Scary scary awful way to spend Christmas. But so thankful he had such a speedy recovery and hopefully our one and only trip to Children's.
- Annie is potty trained! FINALLLLLLLY! But easiest kid to potty train and she's done amazing ever since. She got it so fast!
Anddddd that's a wrap on 2019! This was not my usual year in review post...more short and sweet and just some monthly highlights, but I wasn't feeling a big long post this year (so busy. so tired. sorry.) so this is what you've got! And hopefully 11.5 months from now that Alex isn't mad at this Alex for writing this up like this. haha. Stay tuned for that ;-)
Here's to a wonderful 2020 my friends! I totally feel like 2019 got revenge on the hell that was 2018, and I am fully committed to keep that revenge going into 2020 too!!