Okay, this is my go-to side dish for 99% of our dinners when we have people over OR if I need to bring a side to a family party. It's Alex-approved and so ridiculously easy. A lot of times I prep it the night before so all I need to do it pop it in the oven and enjoy. Easy peasy! I should point out for the people that like onions, you can add them to this dish...but, you know my feelings on onions and I loathe them so I'm making this comment up top here so as not to confuse anyone with my pristine recipe below that DOES NOT include onions because they are the devil.
What you'll need:
- Baking container (I use a 9x13 Pyrex glass one)
- Cooking spray
- 1 bag of shredded hash browns, thawed (note: you can use frozen hash browns BUT add another 15-20 minutes onto your cooking time)
- 5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 container (16 oz) sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL: corn flakes and 2 tbsp. butter melted
How to cook this delicious dish:
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Spray your baking container generously with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and salt and pepper (no clue on the amount, but a good amount of each to make sure you have good flavoring)
- Once combined, stir in the 5 cups of shredded cheese.
- Add the shredded hash browns to your mixture and stir until fully combined
- Spread the mixture into your baking container, layering and smoothing the top
- OPTIONAL: add corn flakes to the top, covering the mixture, sprinkle melted butter over the top
- Place in oven, bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes
- When sides are bubbling and top is golden brown, it's done!
- SERVE and enjoy!